Friday, January 11, 2013

Pinterest find: Newspaper nail art

So those of you who know me know that I really love doing my nails, even though sometimes I’m not the best at it. Hey, I try! Recently I pinned a tutorial for newspaper nail art. I’ve seen it floating around Pinterest for a couple of months now, and decided to give it a try. My sister and I bought some new nail polish from Avon (Though admittedly we really do not need any more. Thankfully, she’s as obsessed with nail polish as I am.). Anyways, the tutorial calls for a light color of polish, and the new pastel pink we bought fit the bill.

As I did in my last nail art post, I’m going to give you a rundown of the directions and then pictures of the process I followed, with a couple of tips to hopefully help anyone who chooses to attempt this. You’ll need a small glass, rubbing alcohol, and strips of newspaper. I used bits of the classifieds, as the print is smaller.

-Apply a base coat of your choice, keep in mind that this works best with light polishes.
-Allow your nails to dry completely – this step is highly important.
-Pour a little bit of alcohol in the glass.
-Dip your nail in the alcohol. Make sure to get the full nail wet.
-Place a strip of newspaper over the nail, hold firmly for about 30 seconds. Make sure the strip doesn’t move, or you risk smearing the ink while it transfers.
-Gently remove the newspaper.
-Carefully apply top coat to protect the newspaper and make your nails shine!

I started with clean nails, and a base coat of Sally Hansen “hard as nails”.

Avon’s “pastel pink” is a fantastic color.

See? I’m even getting better at keeping the polish actually on my nails.

Tip one: Cut extra strips of newspaper. I ended up with pieces that didn’t transfer right, and had to quickly cut more strips with partially done nails.

Tip two: Make sure not to press down too hard. While the alcohol won’t remove the nail polish, it will act as a bonding agent between polish and paper if you press too hard. This fact is proven by my right ring finger.

The finished product:

Overall, I think there is definite room for improvement, but that’s more user error than the actual project. I still really like how they turned out, they’re fun and interesting and unique. I will definitely do it again.


  1. Oh my gosh! This is so cool! Love the color too!

    1. Thanks!! I'm excited to try it again sometime down the road, since now I know the issues I might come across and can stop them from happening.