Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ferdinand the ham


On Christmas Eve, my brother’s work gave him a free ham to bring home. Yesterday, I was tasked with cooking said ham. I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal, but I’ve never actually cooked a ham before. I got a couple of tips from Melynda and my mom, and set out to get it done!






Meet Ferdinand, the ham:













The ham came with a glaze, but I chose not to use it. I made a basting liquid out of brown sugar, honey, and pineapple juice.










I also covered Ferdinand with pineapple slices.




He went into the oven for two hours, and I basted him every half an hour.










And came out looking like this.











I served it with mashed potatoes, long grain & wild rice, and corn. The ham was moist and flavorful, and ended up being a big hit with my brothers. I’m pretty proud!




1 comment: