Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve


            I hope everyone out there in the blogosphere is having a wonderful Christmas Eve. In my head, Christmas Eve should be a relaxing, slightly uneventful day full of hot chocolate (or hot coffee, depending on the person), lazing around the house, and a never-ending supply of Christmas movies. Christmas Eve should be the calm before the storm – Christmas day is always pretty hectic (albeit wonderful), and I think we all deserve a day to prepare ourselves and that’s why Christmas Eve exists.

At least, that’s how it would be in my perfect world.

I do not live in a perfect world.

I live in a world where I work retail, and Christmas Eve is one of the busiest days of the year.

            I don’t want to sound ungrateful. I am happy to have a job, and for the most part I actually enjoy my job and the company I work for. Today, however, I have learned that I do not like my job on Christmas Eve. It’s not so much that the store is incredibly busy as everyone is rushing to do last minute shopping. It’s more along the lines of everyone is in a hurry and unfortunately this tends to make tempers short and attitudes sour. I honestly don’t understand it.

            I know that this time of year can be stressful, and I have experienced my own fair share of that stress, but I can’t comprehend taking my own stress out on an innocent bystander who is just trying to do their job. I hate how as we get closer and closer to the holidays, people’s attitudes get nastier and nastier. It makes me sad. With that being said, tomorrow is Christmas, which happens to be my all-time favorite day of the year. Call me cliché, but Christmas holds a magic that I can’t describe, and I love to soak it in.

I am looking forward to Christmas morning with my siblings, doing our at home celebration before visiting extended family.

I’m looking forward to being in the kitchen with my sister making breakfast, and that first cup of Christmas coffee that tastes somehow better than it does every other day of the year.

I’m looking forward to the looks on my nieces’ and nephews’ faces when they open their presents.

Overall, I am just looking forward to spending Christmas with my family and sharing in that magic that Christmas brings.

I hope you all do the same.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the horrors of retail at Christmas time. People really are....rude, for lack of a better word. Soon things will return to normal and your job will calm down a bit. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete